Apartments du Louvre - Saint Honoré neighborhood is a great area to experience. Great architecture, wonderful restaurants, lively squares and plazas, easy access by Metro and Bus, and very close proximity to Paris' greatest monuments and museums. Here's a non exhaustive list of our favorites located a short walk from our building.
PALAIS ROYAL NEIGHBORHOOD
In the heart of the 1st district, this district was formed for the first time during the French Revolution and is home to several tourist sites steeped in history. From the imposing building of La Comedie Française, passing through the "Buren columns" of the Palais Royal and Place des Victoires, there is Jonne d'Arc, bareheaded and wearing armor in the center of the Place des Pyramides. It is a vibrant neighborhood full of good gastronomic options and with a strong cultural heritage.
ÎLE DE LA CITE
Considered as the ancient cradle of the city of Paris, before called Lutece, the Ile de la Cité was transformed into an administrative center during the Haussmann era and serves as the seat of the Prefecture of Police, the Commercial Court and the Palais de Justice of the capital. It is also home to the beautiful Notre Dame Cathedral, numerous small gardens and charming squares, such as the "almost hidden" Place Dauphine and the Place Louis-Lépine and its exotic Queen-Elizabeth II flower market.
SAINT GERMAIN DES PRES
Born from a small town around the abbey of Saint Germain des Prés in the Middle Ages, this district experienced its golden age during the post-war, thanks to the characters like Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Picasso, Jean-Luc Godard, etc. From this past, there are still places where artists and intellectuals gathered, such as breweries Le Procope and LIPP and cafes Flore and Les Deux Magots. Festive and international, the district of Saint Germain still keeps this nostalgic atmosphere of the beautiful Parisian era.
Named after one of the most famous and luxurious squares in Paris, the Vendôme district is now home to the most prestigious jewelry and fashion boutiques in the city, and the largest luxury hotels such as the Ritz and Vendôme. You can enjoy all the charm of its classical architecture during a walk along the rue Saint Honoré before being carried away by the flavors of the macaroons of the Ladurée tea room and its woodwork and frescoes dated the nineteenth century.
SAINT GERMAIN DE L'AUXERROI
Divided between the right bank of the Seine and the western portion of the Ile de la Cité, it was the first district of Paris. Its monumental buildings such as the Gothic church which lends its name to the district, the former royal residence which houses the Louvre museum or the remains of the old palace of the city (the Sainte Chapelle and the Conciergerie), tell us a bit of history of the French capital during a pleasant walk along the river or among the trees of the Tuileries Garden.
ÎLE DE SAINT-LOUIS
The island of Saint-Louis is, with the Ile de la Cité, one of the two natural islands of the Seine still remaining today in Paris. It takes its current name (since 1725) from King Louis IX, nicknamed St. Louis. Remaining almost identical for nearly 4 centuries, its architecture and atmosphere of independent village transform it into an ideal place for a stroll or picnic and have an aperitif almost feet in the water.
Inaugurated on January 31st, 1977, the Center Pompidou welcomed, in 2016, more than 3 million visitors. Its museum houses one of the world's three largest collections of modern and contemporary art, including the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Tate Modern in London. Originally, the Center was to include a museum of modern art, a public library and the Industrial Creation Center (ICC), but in 1971 a music creation center (IRCAM) was also added to the project. Avant-garde architecture and controversy in its days, the Center Pompidou won a wide public success during its opening by finally hosting five times more visitors than expected.
The Musée de l'Orangerie is located on the western terrace of the Jardin des Tuleries and its building was originally constructed to house the orange trees decorating the garden of the Tuileries Palace during the winter. In 1922 the museum began to be converted to receive the donation of the great opus Claude Monet’s Nymphéas. The painter died only six months after the inauguration, in 1927. Attached to the Musée d'Orsay in May 2010, the Orangerie Museum houses works from famous painters like Paul Cézanne, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso and Pierre-Auguste Renoir, and also pleases by its exterior, which counts with several sculptures of Rodin.
The Louvre Museum, inaugurated in 1793 at the Palais du Louvre, former royal residence located in the center of Paris, is today the largest museum of art and antiques in the world, with an exhibition area of 72,735 m². Its original construction dates from 1190, but it was only in 1317 that the castle was transformed into a royal residence. Stadium of many renovations over the years, the castle was “abandoned” in 1678, when Louis XIV chose Versailles as royal residence. It was not until the 18th century that new projects turned the Louvre into a museum. Currently, the Louvre Museum receives more than 8 million visitors a year and has more than 550,000 pieces, including the famous Mona Lisa, from Leonardo da Vinci, and Alexandros of Antioch’s Venus de Milo.
THE GRAND PALAIS
The Grand Palais was built in Paris for the world exhibition scheduled for April 15 to November 12, 1901, instead of the vast but uncomfortable Palace of Industry of 1855. “Monument dedicated by the Republic to the glory of French Art”, its original vocation is to host major artistic events in the capital. Its main vessel consists of an imposing space surmounted by a large glass roof. This type of building marks the culmination of the eclecticism characteristic of the “Beaux-Arts” style and constitutes, on its own, a summary of the tastes from the “Belle Epoque”. Inaugurated on May 1st 1900, the Grand Palais houses, since 1901, the “Fine Arts” Salons, but also those dedicated to innovation and modernity, and many other artistic events.
The Musée d’Orsay was inaugurated in 1986 in the building that housed the former Gare Ferroviaire d’Orsay, along the left bank of the Seine. It is one of the largest museums in Europe and has the largest collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings in the world, with nearly 1,100 pieces. In addition to its famous paintings, in 1977 the Musée d’Orsay exhibited a collection of decorative arts from the period 1848-1914, that reflected the mutation of the production of art objects related to the industrial revolution that of the fine arts applied to industry. With more than 3.4 million visitors per year, the Musée d’Orsay is the second most visited museum in Paris.
THE SAINT-JACQUES TOWER
The Tower of Saint-Jacques is an old bell tower and only remnant of the church Saint-Jacques-la-Boucherie, reference to the merchant district at the right bank. This ceremonial sanctuary was home to a relic of Saint-Jacques and a famous place of pilgrimage and of worship of the merchants of the district. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Tour de Saint-Jacques is the starting point of Paris's pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. Inaccessible to the public for about 9 years, this historic monument was revived in 1996. The visitations are open again since 2013, between June and October.